Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Difficulties of Board Game Development

I didnt think that I would be alone in saying that the main challenge in board game design is testing. I am used to making small games in Flash and Unity. If I want to test a quick change to the rules, its as simple as hitting run and having a quick go. The changes, and more importantly their impact, are usually pretty clear.

Not so with a board game. Seemingly minor changes and additions can have massive impacts that only become apparent after gathering 4 people, and playing a 2 - 3 hour game. If it doesn't work out you have to tweak the rules and go through the same process.

This forces the designer to invest massive amounts of time in to the smaller details of the game. Time I would rather spend on more big picture issues, but maybe that's just my way. My respect for the great board game designers, such as Reiner Knizia and Klaus Teuber.

I am excited to be moving back to video games, with their instant feedback.

2 comments: