Thursday, November 11, 2010

3D Foley

As soon as I heard we were making a board game one of the things I immediately got excited about was the opportunity to get some 3D models printed out as physical objects.

3D printing has always fascinated me. Its so mysterious and compelling. There are several flavours of 3D printing. The first technique I head of builds a cube, layer by layer, using two types of plastic. One of the plastics is soluble in acid what is left after this process is a highly detailed model.
The machine

When I heard about this miraculous replicator like technology was in use today I imiediatly wanted to know why it wasnt ubiquitus, in every home makeing everything. The answere is a simple as it is depressing, its cheaper to make it in china.

I contacted the endangering department and started building the space ship models in 3DS Max. Unsure of the level of fidelity that their 3D printers were capable of I eared on the side of caution, sticking to very low poly models. This turns out to have been a prudent decision.

The models that were produced were of a chalky and soft nature. The slightest touch rubbed away detail and they fell apart easily, I lost three on the journey back form Bolton Street. The aplication of several layers of nail varnish has since made them much more robust.

In the end, I am sad to admit, they didn't really add much to the game. But I am glad that I got to have been  through the process. I would like to extend a BIG thank you to the engineering department for being so helpful and accommodating.
The models

No comments:

Post a Comment